ETHICS & SUSTAINABILITY
Where many people see calfskin leather, we see a baby.
Veganism is more than just a buzzword, and contrary to popular belief, vegan products do not have to be inferior quality. The cruelty-free movement is making waves across the world, and we are proud to be a part of this growing positive and compassionate cause for change.
- We are here to bridge the gap between fashion and compassion - enabling you to indulge in premium textures and unprecedented detail free from animal-based materials.
- We offer cruelty-free, ethically made pieces with the beauty that lies in the delicate details - so you don’t have to give up on luxurious looks and quality you have grown to love if you want to live more ethically and sustainably.
Any industry that uses animal products contributes to the cruelty and environmental devastation we see worldwide today. We believe the future is a kinder one. It has to be.
- More than 56 billion land animals are slaughtered each year to be used for food and fashion and they are not the only ones suffering and dying for our choices – our planet is too.
Animal agriculture is responsible for up to 91% of Amazon rainforest destruction.
Not only is land required to raise these animals but it is also needed to grow their feed - a hugely inefficient use of resources.
Put into context, animal farming provides just 18% of calories but takes up 83% of our farmland.
At Eurthlin, we only use vegan materials, free of animal derivatives. These include:
- Our water-resistant, glossy, signature printed Saffiano textured PU.
- Ultra-microfiber, high-quality grade, synthetic vegan leather - This faux leather is soft, supple, strikingly similar to real leather and is cherished as one of the best leather alternatives in the world.
- We use GOTS-certified organic cotton for our linings which is made from natural seeds without the use of pesticide or other harmful chemicals.
- Our dust bags are made from recycled plastic bottles (rPET).
- We use home compostable mailer pouches for shipping.
While synthetic leathers may not be the perfect sustainable solution, they are less harmful to the planet than cow leather (according to the 2017 Pulse of The Fashion Industry Report from the Copenhagen Fashion Summit.) We also use the least environmentally harmful materials in our designs. This means you will not find any PVC in our pieces.
We also believe in progress over perfection. So we are always actively looking for new sustainable material technologies to use in new collections and designs to reduce our impact on the planet.
- Animal agriculture is unsustainable long-term, Eurthlin is empowering consumers to make a difference by moving away from the problem and choosing to be the solution.
WHY COMPASSIONATE?There is no “humane” way to kill an animal that does not want to die. Therefore we define the production of animal leather as inhumane. Animals suffer tremendously when they are viewed as a commodity and it doesn't need to be this way.
- The vast majority of leather comes from countries such as India and China, where there are few or no rules protecting animals.
- Leather is not always a byproduct of the meat industry, and often other animals including dogs and cats are killed for their skin and mislabeled as cow leather and exported around the world.
- Many animals who are killed for their skin endure castration, branding, tail-docking and dehorning – all without any painkillers.
- Many animals are marched to their own deaths for days without food or water. When these exhausted animals collapse it is common practice to break their tails or rub chili pepper into their eyes to force them to keep moving.
- The softest, “most luxurious leather” comes from the skin of newborn or even unborn calves, cut prematurely out of their mother's wombs.
This cruelty and suffering is unnecessary when we have incredible man-made alternatives to use instead. The leather industry is also a significant contributor to environmental devastation worldwide.
- Many tanneries release toxic cocktails containing formaldehyde, sulfuric acid, lead, mercury, chromium, and cadmium into waterways polluting the land and poisoning people.
Choosing animal-free fashion is one step you can take towards a kinder, more sustainable and ethical way of living.
- We are PETA-Approved Vegan and proudly registered with The Vegan Society. Our bags are cruelty-free, without compromising on quality or style.
It is important to invest in ethically produced products from companies who are completely transparent about where your products come from. This way you can be sure the people who make the fashion you wear are treated fairly.
- Our bags are produced in our world-class facility located in Guangzhou, China, situated northwest of the Pearl River.
- Our production facility has been assessed and certified by Brussels-based auditing firm Amfori BSCI - the leading business association for open and sustainable trade.
- Amfori BSCI has been active since 2003 and our production facility was last audited in July 2019.
Learn more about the esteemed accreditation here
WHY SUPPORT US?
We think before we act and celebrate even the smallest of efforts towards a cleaner, greener future.
In exchange for your support, we will plant one tree in the Amazon for every piece sold in collaboration with OneTreePlanted.org to assist with reforestation.
- As animal protection is central to our brand's mission we also support local animal shelters and rescues with donations.